University Of Tasmania

File(s) not publicly available

The young and the reckless: do all consumers of alcohol and energy drinks in risk-taking while intoxicated?

conference contribution
posted on 2023-05-24, 13:58 authored by Amy PeacockAmy Peacock, Raimondo BrunoRaimondo Bruno
Contrary to predictions, several studies have shown that people who consume alcohol mixed with energy drinks (AmED) display low odds of risk-taking during AmED versus alcohol drinking sessions. However, these results are based on treating AmED consumers as a homogeneous group. The aim of the present study was to determine typologies of AmED risk-taking behavior amongst consumers, as well as identifying correlates of AmED risk-taking class membership. AmED consumers (N = 403) completed an online survey where they reported whether they had engaged in risk behaviors in the preceding 6 months during AmED and alcohol drinking sessions. Latent class models were estimated based on AmED risk-taking data; univariate multinomial logistic regression was conducted to determine correlates of class membership. A 3-class model was selected based on fit and parsimony, identifying: (i) Low risk-taking consumers (38%): low probability of any AmED risk behaviors; (ii) Disinhibited intake consumers (48%): high probability of drinking and spending more than intended; (iii) High risk-taking consumers (14%): high probability of most AmED risk behaviors. The latter two groups had significantly higher odds of being male and reporting hazardous alcohol use, more frequent AmED use, greater alcohol and ED intake in AmED sessions, and higher trait impulsivity scores. The latter two groups also reported significantly greater odds of risk-taking behavior regardless of whether consuming alcohol only or AmED. These results indicate that AmED consumers are not a homogeneous group in regards to their risk-taking behavior post-consumption. High likelihood of risk-taking behavior in AmED sessions, as well as elevated risk-taking in alcohol drinking sessions, highlights the need for targeted harm minimisation policies and programmes for a significant minority of consumers.





School of Psychological Sciences

Event title

38th Annual RSA Scientific Meeting

Event Venue

San Antonio, Texas

Date of Event (Start Date)


Date of Event (End Date)


Repository Status

  • Restricted

Socio-economic Objectives

Expanding knowledge in psychology

Usage metrics

    University Of Tasmania