University Of Tasmania
152514 - completeness and legibiliy.pdf (140.53 kB)
Download file

Completeness and legibility of handwritten prescriptions in Sana'a, Yemen

Download (140.53 kB)
journal contribution
posted on 2023-05-21, 12:14 authored by Mohammed Al-Worafi, Y, Rahul PatelRahul Patel, Syed Razi ZaidiSyed Razi Zaidi, Mohammed Alseragi, W, Saeed Almutairi, M, Saleh Alkhoshaiban, A, Ming, LC

Objective: The aim of this study was to investigate the completeness and legibility of prescriptions dispensed in community pharmacies located in Sana'a, Yemen.

Materials and methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted at 23 randomly selected community pharmacies throughout the capital city of Sana'a, Yemen, from May 2015 to January 2016. A total of 2,178 prescriptions were analyzed for the essential elements of a complete prescription using a validated checklist.

Results: Of the 2,178 prescriptions, 19 (0.87%) were considered to be of good quality. The remaining 2,159 (99.12%) were considered as being of very poor quality. Writing errors relating to patients and prescribed medications were the most common errors.

Conclusion: In this study, the quality of prescription writing was found to be very poor. Hence, continuous professional development programs are recommended to improve the quality of prescription writing among physicians. Future studies in other cities and investigation of the impact of continuous educational programs on the quality of prescription writing are strongly recommended.


Publication title

Medical Principles and Practice








School of Pharmacy and Pharmacology



Place of publication


Rights statement

© 2018 The Author(s) Published by S. Karger AG, Basel. This article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) License (

Repository Status

  • Open

Socio-economic Objectives

Treatment of human diseases and conditions