University of Tasmania
144733 - May measurement month 2019.pdf (118.15 kB)

May Measurement Month 2019: an analysis of blood pressure screening results from Australia

Download (118.15 kB)
journal contribution
posted on 2023-05-20, 23:49 authored by Carnagarin, R, Yang, J, Critchley, S, Dean PiconeDean Picone, Tan, I, Marques, FZ, Cowley, D, Fernando, M, Beaney, TL, Trengrove, N, Omelczuk, S, Poulter, NR, Brockman, D, Schlaich, MP
May Measurement Month (MMM) is an annual global blood pressure (BP) screening campaign aimed at obtaining standardized BP measurements and other relevant health information from members of the community to increase awareness of elevated BP and the associated risks. Adults (18 years) were recruited through opportunistic sampling across the various Australian states during May 2019. Three BP readings were recorded in a standardized manner for each participant, and data on lifestyle factors and comorbidities were collected. Hypertension was defined as a systolic BP 140 mmHg, or a diastolic BP 90 mmHg (according to the MMM protocol) or taking antihypertensive medication. Multiple imputation was used to estimate participants’ mean BP where three readings were not available. Of the 2877 participants, 901 (31.3%) had hypertension of whom 455 (50.5%) were aware of their condition, and 366 (40.6%) were on antihypertensive medication. Of those taking antihypertensive medication, 54.3% were controlled to <140/90 mmHg with the remaining 45.7% of participants inadequately treated. Approximately 74% of treated patients were on a single antihypertensive medication. The MMM campaign provides an important platform for standardized compilation of BP data and creation of BP awareness in Australia and other nations worldwide. Data from the 2019 MMM campaign highlight that BP control rates in Australia remain unacceptably low.


Publication title

European Heart Journal Supplements


23 (Supplement B)






Menzies Institute for Medical Research


W B Saunders Co Ltd

Place of publication

32 Jamestown Rd, London, England, Nw1 7By

Rights statement

Published on behalf of the European Society of Cardiology. Copyright The Author(s) 2021. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) License (, which permits non-commercial re-use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Repository Status

  • Open

Socio-economic Objectives

Diagnosis of human diseases and conditions; Health education and promotion

Usage metrics

    University Of Tasmania


    Ref. manager