University of Tasmania
proc-nov-1877.pdf (113.52 kB)

Proceedings of the Royal Society for the month of November, 1877

Download (113.52 kB)
journal contribution
posted on 2023-11-22, 08:01 authored by Royal Society of Tasmania
The monthly evening meeting of the Society was held at the Museum on Monday, November 12, the Right Rev. the Bishop of Tasmania in the chair.
From Charles E. Barnard, Esq., M.D. A named collection of Fossil Fruits from Gulgong, New South Wales was presented to the society.
[In reference to this presentation, the following note from Dr. Barnard was read:"These fossil fruits were found embedded in the argillaceous 'wash dirt' of the 'Black Lead,' Gulgong, New South Wales, at a depth of 150 feet, associated with leaves and wood, the remains of ancient forests. Immediately above this wash-dirt is a stratum of hard basalt, 15 feet thick; and above this again are strata of clays and gravel alternating. These latter contain no gold; which is only found here beneath the basalt".
Mr. M. Allport remarked that one or two of these fossils from the New South Wales territories were very similar to some found in the Travertine at Geilston, near Risdon, and in both cases they were of older date than the basalt, which in New South Wales overlies the fossils, and at Risdon has displaced the beds in which they occur.
The Rev. W. W. Spicer read a paper on "Silk and Silk Producers." A paper by the Rev. J. E. Tenison-Woods, "On some new Tasmanian Marine Shells," was read by the Secretary.
Mr. Allport read a very interesting paper "On the present stage of the Salmon Experiment." After some conversational discussion, the Secretary announced that the Council, after due deliberation, had determined to open the Museum to the public on the afternoons of Sunday from 2:30 to 5 o'clock. This action was taken in the interest of all those whose occupations rendered them unable to visit during week days. The experiment would be continued for two or three months, after which period its continuance would be determined by the number of visitors.


Publication title

Papers & Proceedings and Report of the Royal Society of Tasmania



Rights statement

In 1843 the Horticultural and Botanical Society of Van Diemen's Land was founded and became the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science in 1844. In 1855 its name changed to Royal Society of Tasmania for Horticulture, Botany, and the Advancement of Science. In 1911 the name was shortened to Royal Society of Tasmania..

Usage metrics

    Royal Society of Tasmania


    No categories selected


    Ref. manager