University Of Tasmania
Quilty& Winter - Scott's Tasmanian connections.pdf (745.56 kB)

Robert Falcon Scott: A Tasmanian connection

Download (745.56 kB)
journal contribution
posted on 2023-05-21, 18:16 authored by Quilty, PG, Winter, G
The Edge Anglican church (originally St Alban's) in the northern Hobart suburb of Claremont has above its main altar a triptych stained glass window, a memorial to Robert Falcon Scott R.N. New information suggests that the designer/manufacturer was Auguste Fischer of Melbourne, a close associate of the church's architect, Alan Cameron Walker of Hobart. The window was promised by Mrs Edith Knight at the laying of the foundation stone of the church in July 1913, five months after Scott's death became known to the world. Lady Ellison-Macartney attended the ceremony. She was Scott's sister and wife of the recently appointed governor of Tasmania, Sir William Ellison-Macartney. Other members of Scott's family were also living in Hobart at the time. The Ellison-Macartneys and their daughter Esther attended the dedication of the window on 17 October 1915. Admiral E.R.G.R. Evans, second in command of Scott's expedition, spoke to The Royal Society of Tasmania on 29 March 1930, on the topic of Scott's last Antarctic venture. © 2011 Cambridge University Press.


Publication title

Polar Record








School of Natural Sciences


Cambridge University Press

Place of publication


Rights statement

Copyright 2011 Cambridge University Press

Repository Status

  • Open

Socio-economic Objectives

Understanding Australia’s past

Usage metrics

    University Of Tasmania