University of Tasmania
whole-goodhand-thesis.pdf (20.42 MB)

Pome fruit orcharding in Tasmania: It's evolution and present geographic basis

Download (20.42 MB)
posted on 2023-05-26, 00:35 authored by Goodhand, WE
The pome fruits are both the foremost crop and the most highly specialised form of agricultural activity in Tasmania - on almost all the holdings growing fruit commercially, apples and pears are the principal source of income. Commercial production is confined to a small number of well defined localities within seven major producing regions, for orcharding is an industry which benefits from concentration due to the need for many specialised facilities, namely packing sheds, cool stores, processing factories, case mills, transport services, marketing and shipping agencies. This localisation is even more striking in terms of area, for from 16,400 acres of apples and 1,400 acres of pears, a mere 5% of the total crop land, are produced annually fruit worth up to £8,000,000, some 35% of Tasmanian agricultural production. Apple production is dominated by the southern group of producers, the Huon Valley, D'Entrecasteaux Channel, lower and mid-Derwent Valley, Tasman Peninsula and Triabunna, which have no less than 82.5% of the bearing trees. The northern regions in the Tamar and Mersey Valleys account for the remaining 17.5% of apple trees. Pear production is somewhat more evenly distributed with 31% of the trees in the north and 69% in the south but with no one region outstanding.


Publication status

  • Unpublished

Rights statement

Copyright The Author. The University is continuing to endeavour to trace the copyright owner(s) and in the meantime this item has been reproduced here in good faith. We would be pleased to hear from the copyright owner(s) - Copyright the Author

Repository Status

  • Open

Usage metrics

    Thesis collection


    No categories selected


    Ref. manager